Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The passage of time is never long enough.

So, I have been back in Ontario for near 2 weeks now and nothing really has changed. A few things but nothing really. Family is the same, Town is the same, etc.

In others words, nothing changes or not enought time has occured between my last time here and now.

It was interesting to see that in my poll that 2 people don't care if I moved back. I though the number was going to be higher.

I ran into a friend the other day and she said, "I heard you where back" in a way that made me wonder a few things. The way she said it sounded like she was expecting me to say something or jump up and down. Fact is, I came home for myself and my family. I wanted my kids to be closer to my family and have a chance to get to know them a little bit before some of them are not around anymore.

Time is a funny thing, you never know when enough has past and my the time you do you have missed most thing.

For those of you wanting more details on what happen at the VCC, that will come inthe next blog.

To finish this one up; I got this email today which most of the below came from, I found it very interesting and will expand on my meaning in the next blog as well.


Here’s an interesting fact: Before adaptive technology, medication, and assistive equipment, Neanderthals (commonly known as “Cave men”) took care of tribe members with disabilities who had trouble performing tasks necessary for survival.

If caring for people was so easy a caveman could do it, why is it so hard to receive assistance today?

It is encouraging to see the community of Canada’s Disability Living Blog take care of one another. By sharing encouraging stories and offering advice to others, you are providing individuals with support. If you haven’t visited the website yet, explore the conversations taking place at www.disabilityliving.ca.

This week's blog series focuses on “Disability Etiquette.”

Does it surprise you that Disability Rights in Canada have been progressing for 40 years, yet some people still don’t know what terms are appropriate to use when addressing this sensitive issue?

What could have been done in the past to educate citizens about disabilities? How do you think awareness can be spread in the future? Here is a timeline of Disability Rights in Canada: http://www.disabilityliving.ca/people-with-disabilities-canadian-disability-rights-timeline/. Tell us where education could have been applied and your hopes for educating generations yet to come.

What does “Disability Etiquette” Mean?

One blog post defines Disability Etiquette as, “…extending certain courtesies to individuals with a disability in such ways that allow them to feel comfortable, included in society, and respected.”

What does this term mean to you? Share your definition here: http://www.disabilityliving.ca/people-with-disabilities-disability-etiquette/.

Also, do you have tips to help others become more aware of their speech and behaviour when interacting with people in the disability community?

Does Disability Etiquette Ever Change?

Often times, there is more to a disability than meets the eye. We are eager to hear your thoughts about how to interact with individuals who have challenges in the following areas:





No comments:

Post a Comment